Review of Psych Central Blog
The PsychCentral Blog is an outstanding and mammoth labour of love by psychologist Dr John Grohol. The blog has been running since 1999 and there are now 2000+ posts mainly by Dr Grohol but with additional contributors. Dr Grohol has not only created this blog but also a psychcentral user forum with over 1400 user groups! Psychcentral was also voted into the top 50 of TIME’s websites in 2008. The blog is updated very regularly – mostly daily and focuses on mental health issues with a stronger emphasis on psychological approaches as well as having articles on healthy living and drug research/policies. Here are a few of my highlights from the blog
– an article on a my-space like forum for patients known as ‘patients like me’
– Top 10 Psychology websites including the Stanford Prison Experiment and an interview with Kay Redfield Jamison
– Top 10 Depression Blogs
– Top 5 thinking (psychiatry related) blogs
– An article on a text-messaging service for patients with Bipolar Disorder
– There is also a related blog that has just started up – Bipolar Beat by Candida Fink
Round-Up of Other Blogs
Another excellent blog Shrink Rap, which I reviewed earlier has also been reviewed in Scientific American Mind. I was very impressed by The Shrink Rap team, when they took the time to post some comments thanking me for my review in the midst of everything else they’re doing! In the Carlat Psychiatry Blog, Carlat looks at a course about prescribing liability and some of the funding issues around this course.
The comments made here represent the opinions of the author and do not represent the profession or any body/organisation. The comments made here are not meant as a source of medical advice and those seeking medical advice are advised to consult with their own doctor.