There is an interesting paper by the IT industry on solutions to the IT challenges for health and care.
The Power of Information
The 2012 ‘The Power of Information‘ paper by the Department of Health is mentioned in the ‘Personalised Health and Social Care 2020’ paper. This paper has the following headings
- Information about me and my care
- Connected information for integrated care
- Better access to better information
- A quality driven information system
- Making it happen
The Digital Strategy
The Department of Health published a paper in 2012 titled ‘Digital Strategy – Leading the Culture Change in Health and Care‘. This document is referenced in the paper ‘Personalised Health and Social Care 2020’.
NHS Five Year Forward View
- The NHS Five Year Forward view is a key document which extends from 2014-2019 The NHS Five Year Forward view contains a digital element.
- Personalised Health and Social Care 2020. This is the framework published by the National Information Board. This document was published in 2014.
The NIB Framework consists of the following principles which are expanded upon in the Personalised Health and Social Care 2020 paper.
- Enabling the right health and care choices
- Giving care professionals and carers access to needed data, information and knowledge
- Making care quality transparent
- Building and sustaining public trust
- Bringing forwards life-saving treatments and supporting innovation and growth
- Supporting care professionals to make the best use of data and technology
- Assuring best value
The Standards for the Clinical Structure and Content of Patient Records
- ‘The Standards for the Clinical Structure and Content of Patient Records’ is a 2013 paper published by the Academy of Royal Medical Colleges and NHS Digital (which in 2013 was HSCIC) outlining the clinical requirements for an electronic patient record system.
NIB Framework Derivative Documents
- Information and Technology for Better Care. This document is published by NHS Digital and links to the National Information Board Framework. This document was published in 2015 and outlines the strategy for NHS Digital.
- There is also a paper on MyNHS titled ‘MyNHS – Greater transparency for better health and care’. This relates to the agenda outlined in Personalised Health and Social Care 2020.
- A broader look at clinical systems is covered in ‘Information and Digital Technologies Clinical Requirements 2020′ and is a derivative of both the NIB Framework and ‘The Standards for the Clinical Structure and Content of Patient Records’.
- The National Information Board have published ‘Personalised Health and Social Care 2020: Service User Vision‘. This explains the NIB framework in a way that is accessible for service users and carers.
Twitter: You can follow ‘The Amazing World of Psychiatry’ Twitter by clicking on this link.
TAWOP Channel: You can follow the TAWOP Channel on YouTube by clicking on this link.
Responses: If you have any comments, you can leave them below or alternatively e-mail email@example.com.
Disclaimer: The comments made here represent the opinions of the author and do not represent the profession or any body/organisation. The comments made here are not meant as a source of medical advice and those seeking medical advice are advised to consult with their own doctor. The author is not responsible for the contents of any external sites that are linked to in this blog.
Conflicts of Interest: *For potential conflicts of interest please see the About section